They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack.
  -James Earl Jones "Field of Dreams"
and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road
  -Bob Dylan "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"

Friday, September 14, 2007

Katie

Katie is leaving us today, I have to take her to the vet one last time at 5:15. She is 13 years old. She was acquired as a kitten from the humane society, our second choice but vaulted into first place when the guy ahead of her turned out to be, well, a guy. I have had 5 cats in my lifetime and she has lived much longer than any of them. She has been a good friend to us for a long time. She always favored Susan and Mike over me but there were enough times when she would sit in my lap or purr when I petted her that I know she liked me too. A relatively small cat, declawed when she was very young, she still was a fierce defender of her turf. We are going to miss her a lot. We have known that this would happen for a couple of weeks now. She has a heart condition that cannot be treated. The last several days have been hard, but she has gotten to go outside a few more times, to sit with Susan, to be brushed, to eat some tuna, and we have had a chance to appreciate her and to say goodbye.

She is a great cat and despite the pain I am glad that we brought her home and that she spent all of this time with us.

No comments: