They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack.
  -James Earl Jones "Field of Dreams"
and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road
  -Bob Dylan "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"

Friday, May 25, 2007

I'm in Hell

On Tuesday afternoon, a computer system that I am responsible for, one that has 1500 users, started acting strangely. By Wednesday afternoon, you could not log into it at all and the support people decided that the Data Dictionary in the Oracle database that the system uses was corrupted. Then they figured out that they had not been backing the database up. So they devised a process that ended up taking twice as long as they thought it would take to rebuild the database. Meanwhile vice presidents have been yelling at vice presidents about all of this and we are seriously rethinking our relationship with CSC, who maintains our databases. It is now almost 1:00 am on Friday and it is back up and I am doing some testing before declaring victory. Unfortunately one of the tests is taking a loooong time. I am sitting here watching an hourglass wishing that I was sleeping. At least it ends with good news.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I gave up on watching the hourglass about 2 AM. When I checked back in at 7:45 AM, it had finished and everything is OK.