They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack.
-James Earl Jones "Field of Dreams"
and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road
-Bob Dylan "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"
Saturday, November 19, 2005
What else is new? I have to hope (ugh) that Ohio State gets a BCS at-large bid so that Michigan can play in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day. If not, they play in the Alamo Bowl on 12/28, breaking a long string on New Year's Day bowl appearances.
I contacted a lot of people about the TV status of the Michigan-Ohio State game. I sent a note to several members of the Phoenix Michigan Alumni Club. I got two responses, one (the president) said that it didn't matter since they would show it at some bar where the alumni club gathered. The other one said that he was sure it would be on TV and not to worry. They were both pretty condescending. I also contacted the president of the local Ohio State alumni club. His reaction was that it was an outrage and that he would try to do something about it. He also got back to me later with an update. I am not sure where I am going with this but it is not to a place that I would have predicted.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Thursday, November 10, 2005
Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Thursday, October 20, 2005
I started a diet on Sunday and have lost 4.5 pounds so far. This, of course, is the easy part.
We had a disaster where the rack of wine and martini glasses that hung over the bar in the family room dislodged from the ceiling, destroying all of the glasses and damaging the counter. We found a company that repairs Corian and they did a beautiful job of removing all of the cuts and scratches for $350. Have not replaced the glasses yet and Susan does not want to try another rack.
Mike started taking classes at the University of Phoenix. He plans to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Business Management(!).
I was pleased with the way the MLB Division Series came out. 3 of my 4 desired finishes happened with only the Houston/Atlanta matchup going the wrong way. Unfortunately I am 0 for 2 for the Championship Series, having favored the Angels and Cardinals. Definitely rooting for the White Sox in the World Series.
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Talk about your field of dreams.
So tonight was the last night that a game was played at Bank One Ballpark. BOB is done. Tomorrow they will announce a new name, probably Chase Field. They stretched it out a little, beat the Dodgers in the bottom of the 12th on a 3 run walk off home run by Alex Cintrón.
Something else that is hopefully coming to an end is the ad campaign by Checker Auto in which they continuously congratulate themselves for contributing car seats to poor families with the first run scored at each Diamondbacks home game. The TV (and probably radio too) announcer mentions this each time it happens and they run an ad where Luis González gushes about how wonderful this is with his triplets running around. Think about it for a minute. Assuming (incorrectly) that the Diamondbacks score a run in each home game, that is 81 car seats. The most expensive car seat on Checker's website retails for just under $100. Assuming a markup of 50% that costs Checker $50. So Checker's wonderfully compassionate contribution is worth a little more than $4000 for the entire year. González, who appears to be so impressed with this, makes roughly $18,000 each time he steps to the plate.
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture. This is a test post with a picture.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Friday, September 16, 2005
Thursday, September 15, 2005
"Detour" Dan needs a lesson in geography. Anything not in the East Valley is on the west side according to him. The 51 is a west side freeway. Even the 202 between Tempe and downtown is on the west side. Totally clueless.
"Have you still not refinanced your mortgage because you spent..." I never let this jerk get any farther than that.
I sure don't miss Preston Westmoreland. I liked Gaydos better than Heidi Foglesong. Paul Calvisi needs to lose the cutesy sound effects.
Monday, September 12, 2005
- The online poll at the bottom of the Valley section is sometimes interesting. They ask a question and provide the results of yesterday's poll
- The online poll at the bottom of the Sports section is a waste of space and an insult to the readers. They ask a question and direct you to their web page to find out the results, i.e. all it is is an ad for their web page
- "The Heat Index" on page 2 of the Sports section is just plain awful. It is supposed to be funny but rarely is. It is always mean spirited, though. It's a name-dropping gossip column with a bad attitude.
- I could not care less about the daily status of negotiations with some spoiled (soon to be) rich kid that the Diamondbacks drafted. Actually there is one thing that I do care less about, and that is the identity of the kid's agent, whose name is repeated in each article
- Bill Goodykoontz is a terrible TV critic. He has like 3 things to say and he repeats them over and over again. He should go back to sports.
- It is insulting that they are running Calvin and Hobbes reruns to help promote some book that is coming out. They bumped Peanuts to the classified section immediately when it went into reruns. Just what makes Calvin and Hobbes so important? Side note: neither Susan nor I have ever once read "Rose is Rose" which is the strip that replaced Peanuts
Friday, September 09, 2005
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Working at home tomorrow.
Mike has a blog (he actually updates it frequently.) http://www.disturbed.org:8888/