They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack.
  -James Earl Jones "Field of Dreams"
and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road
  -Bob Dylan "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I have the internet connection problem from hell. I have had Cox's internet service since the @home days. About a month and a half ago it started going away on me. My connection would stop working sporadically. It is a bigger deal than it used to be because I have started working at home a couple of days a week. I finally got a Cox service guy out to the house. He couldn't find anything wrong. (Of course it was working then.) The only thing he could come up with was the fact that I had split off a line for my TV. Years ago, Cox put in a dedicated line to the cable modem. A year or two later I moved my desk to the opposite side of the room so I needed to add a connector and another cable. Some time after that I replaced the connector with a splitter and added a tv to the picture. None of that impacted my internet connection. But this moron tells me that they are gong to have to put in another line because that is the only thing that they can think of that might be wrong. And they are going to charge me $75 because I messed with the cable. So I figure that it would be worth $75 if it solved the problem. I call them up to schedule the work and it takes like two weeks to get an appointment. The person on the phone asks me if I had eliminated the router as a possible culprit. So I replace my router--wanted 802.11g anyway. No improvement. The guy comes to the house and suns a new wire. As he drives away the problem recurs. I call the dispatcher and they send him back. He replaces the line from the house that goes under the street. He replaces the connector thingamajig in the box across the street. He tells me that if this does not work the only thing left is the modem. As he drives away the problem recurs. I bought a new modem. Although it seems to have improved, I have seen two brief interruptions since Friday. I have 30 days in which to return the modem. The only thing left is AT&T DSL (cheaper than Qwest). Slower but hopefully more reliable.

No comments: