They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack.
  -James Earl Jones "Field of Dreams"
and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road
  -Bob Dylan "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Patsy's!

I got done with class early today, and after going back to the hotel to do email, etc., headed north up 7th Ave. I went past Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, then headed east on 34th St. (as in Miracle on...) and walked past Macy's, turned north on Broadway at Herald Square, walked through Times Square, up to the Ed Sullivan Theatre. I found Rupert Jee's Hello Deli but it was closed. Letterman is on tape this week so maybe Rupert took the week off... Continued up to 56th Street where Patsy's is halfway between Broadway and 8th Ave. Took the picture but it was only 4:30 and since I wanted to eat there, I headed on to kill some time. I turned north on 8th Ave. and went on to Columbus Circle. I walked around the outside of the circle, saw the entrance to Central Park, and then went to the middle of the circle and sat on a bench for a while and watched some skateboard kids. Finally headed back to Patsy's. I was concerned that they would not be serving dinner that early (a little after 5) but they were and there were several people eating. Patsy's is on two levels, there are about 18 tables on the main floor and another 25 or so upstairs. I got a table downstairs. There are pictures of the wall of famous people who have eaten there and signed their pictures (Danny Thomas, Mickey Mantle, Lyndon Johnson, etc.) I think I saw Larry David's picture. The waiters and maitre'd were mostly older (apparently) Italian men. I had a bottle of San Pelegrino, the spaghetti and meatballs and an espresso afterwards. The sauce was great, as was the bread on the table. The meatballs were large (I think there were 3 or 4). They were tasty and a little more bready than I expected. An elderly couple from Huntington Beach who really wanted to chat were at the table next to me. The man cooked a lot an he had discovered Patsy's in a gourmet magazine and this was there first time there too. After they left, a new couple was seated. It took me a minute to figure it out, but the man was Willard Scott (Today Show guy). It was confirmed when the waiter greeted with "Good to see you again, Mr. Scott." Patsy's was a lot of fun and has great food. I look forward to going back there next year with Susan. After dinner I went back to Broadway and retrace my steps back to the hotel. Times Square was really jumping by then. The city is much more walkable than you would think. One of the weirdest experiences is crossing the street in a crowd. You will be standing with about 100 people waiting to cross. About 50 locals will all start up before the light changes, then the light will change, then 50 tourists will start. If you start to get he hang of it, there is both the danger of getting rear-ended by the locals AND the danger of running into a tourist.

No comments: